Sunday, December 27, 2009

Chapter 26 Pictures

The spirit of Christmas!
Our little SPE's love to play 'Down by the Banks'...us teachers were feeling a little generous, so we let the kids have some fun!

Me and my lover boy, new Jimmy...this whole week, Jimmy has brought all the teachers random little nic-nacs--we've gotten safety pins, dinosaur cards, candy, shirt pins, pogs, etc. It's almost as if we're playing the 12 Days of Christmas. I absolutely adore this boy.

Alright, so I love him, and he loves Flora...what's new? The new, happy couple. According to our source (Emily), Jimmy and Mimi were never dating...Mimi just thought of Jimmy as a friend, so he's moved onto the next best thing, Flora. Ha. Jimmy's playing the 12 Days of Christmas with her too. Everyday he brings something new!


Friday, December 20th

You see this girl...she is my best friend, sister, and cousin. I love her so much! She's been serving the Lord for the past 18 months in the DC South mission. I was living in Alabama when she left and now I'm living in Taiwan, where I'll be when she gets home. Yes, Keesh is coming home today!

I LOVE YOU KEESH!


Dinner with the Ko's--one of my favorite families. The Ko's promised me a dumpling party before I left, so tonight was the night. We had a fun time cooking, eating, and chatting. I will miss this family. They are amazing, and they have done so much for me!
Ladies Hour--Helen and I preparing dinner....Frank taking pictures!

Helen teaching me her ways...she's a great cook!

We had a wonderful meal...dumplings (my favorite), rolls, fruit, peanuts, cashews, and then....half-way through our meal, Frank pulled out these....
CHICKEN FEET!

I couldn't back down from the challenge. Yup, I'm really eating it...not too bad, just a bit chewey, and yes, very boney. I think I had a couple tendons too!

Martin and JoAnna...They are always trying to talk to me about boys and kissing...haha. I will miss them so much.

Helen and Frank...always wining and dinning me....what a great family!


Saturday, December 19th

It's my mom's birthday today! ...one year older and as babelicious as ever. Alright, this pic is a few years old, but she still looks GREAT! Happy Birthday MOM....I LOVE YOU! Thanks for being my BEST FRIEND--you always listen to me when I need to vent, and you always give me the advice and the support I need. Whenever I need a laugh, I can always call you! Thanks mamasita! As the Asian's would say, HAPPY TOGETHER.


Over the course of my time in Taiwan, I've traveled just about everywhere, but because of costs and time, I wasn't going to be able to make it to Hualien and Taroko Gorge (the Grand Canyon of Taiwan)...after two minutes of contemplation, us girls thought, 'what the heck, when will we be in Taiwan again...,' so spur of the moment, we packed up and took a train to Hualien. Emily came with us; she is so fun to travel with. She is always so organized and planned out, so we don't have to worry about a thing...I would trust her with my life! The trip was short, but loads of fun! Only damper....Tabbi wasn't able to come--she ran the marathon in Taipei...Good Job Tip!

Hualien
We got on the train at 6:12 am and arrived in Hualien at 11:30. We checked into our homestay, rented some scooters, and were off to tour the town.
Trying to sleep on the train...it was freezing cold and uncomfortable.

Good thing Hanna and I brought our neck pillows...these were the only things that saved us on our four-hour trek.

Scootin' around!

We found ourselves at an old Japanese government building that has now been turned into an Art Museum...
Outside the Art Museum!

A coastal view of Hualien from the museum--beautiful!

These cut-outs were everywhere at the art museum...we had fun playin' around with them...if only you were there...
Em

Me

Hanna

Sarah

Next stop, the beach! It was freezing!

Night market for a little dinner. After visiting three night markets, we finally found one that had the famous French toast...stuffed with your choice of sweet and sour chicken, peppered beef, or seafood salad. As yummy as it sounded, I went with the tuna crepe (a safe bet)

Our homestay. We had the whole house to ourselves...absolutley wonderful. This is Hanna and Sarah enjoying our nice, SOFT beds! A feeling of home...two seconds later the floor started rumbling, the lights started shaking, and the door started swinging...EARTHQUAKE....Hualien was the epicenter, a 6.8 on the Richter scale. Luckily we weren't out and about riding our scooters. Longest 30 seconds of my life...kinda crazy, but oh so fun!


Sunday, December 20th

Taroko Gorge!

It was so cold that we decided to layer up with everything that we brought for the weekend. Hanna and Sarah putting on their layers.

Oh man, Just the other week I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt...now I'm wearing double layers....Taroko Gorge was freezing. I always thought it was funny when my students would wear their pajamas underneath their clothes, haha....look at me now. Gotta love those p.j.'s ridin' up!

Hanna and I, AKA...Mary and the bank robber....kidnapper and the thief...we had to bundle up if we were going to ride scooters through the gorge.

Emily, Sarah, and me.

Sweet shot...we couldn't get too close because everything was shut down because of the earthquake the night before...rocks and debris scattered the ground.

Em and I walking toward the giant pagoda

Sarah and I climbed to the very top!

Suspension bridge...Hanna, me, and Sarah...Em took the picture (she couldn't muster up the courage to walk out too far on the bridge)...it was a long way down!

Whoops!

My 'must-take' photo...I've gotten everyone else into the jumping style pics too!

What a great weekend! I love the EAST SIDE!

No comments: