Sunday, November 8, 2009

Chapter 18

Monday, October 19th

Well, this is the first day without Tabbi (she’s back in America for a week—crazy to think about that); we’ll see how it goes. I feel as though with five teachers we’re already short-handed, and now just four teachers??? Oh dear, I hope the children behave themselves, or I’ll be getting out the wooden spoon! Sammy and I are dividing the little SPE’s into two groups instead of three….as if the kids aren’t rambunctious enough as it is…what am I going to do? I am also going to teach Tabbi’s 2A’s (my old second grade class). It’ll be fun to teach them again for a little bit…but yes, just for a little bit, ha!

SPE news:

Some kids are just so good natured. I know I always talk about little Scott, but he is the best little boy ever! He is always so happy! He’s a rule enforcer and keeps the other kids in line, he cleans up after himself without being asked, and he returns those things that don’t belong to him. Let me explain: so everyone knows I have long, thick, dark hair….and it sheds….that’s a fact. I can’t help that my shedding is rather noticeable due to my dark hair color, it happens. In gym today, Scott found one strand of my long, dark hair….it couldn’t have been the hair of another student because the class is full of boys and just one girl, who has rather short hair. Scott came running toward me holding out his hand, “Teacher, teacher, your hair!” Haha, he totally returned my piece of hair that he found lying on the floor. Haha, what a good boy!

Tuesday, October 20th

Movie Night…time to be reminded of home, the theaters always do it for us girls! After work, Hanna, Sarah, and I went to ‘$50 Pizza’ and grabbed some food on-the-go to take to the movies—I love that we can take food into the theaters here, well…legally anyway. We got our pizza, drinks, and popcorn just in time to see the start of the movie, Julie and Julia. It was a cute little flick. It really made me think about my passion in life. What is it? What do I really want to do? What do I really want? I’m still not sure, but I hope I figure it out soon, I can’t do this limbo thing forever, can I? For some reason, I just feel as though I’ll stumble upon something sometime…somewhere, but as much as I’m a planner, I don’t think I’ll be able to plan this one.

Wednesday, October 21st

I gave my 2A’s their midterm today (the test that I wrote)…thank goodness it’s over. They said the test was TOO EASY….and I thought I was challenging my students. They are just too smart. They must have a great teacher ;) haha! They really are a smart bunch. I’m always bragging to the other teachers about my kids’ sweet skills.

Thursday, October 22nd

Today I’ve been thinking: I’m not a perfect teacher. I hate to admit it, but I struggle sometimes. I don’t always have the patience I wish I had, thanks Mom and Dad! As much as I try not to yell at the children, sometimes it slips as a first reaction….I hate it, and I am trying hard to overcome it. I yelled at one of my students today, Anna, because she hit Engine on the head, HARD! “Anna...” I yelled. “Don’t you hit him, we don’t hit people.” My tone came off sharp and brisk. For some reason, I felt so bad afterward, I think it was Anna’s scared little face that made the guilt rush through me. I kept thinking of myself when I was a youngster…I remember my mom coming into my room, “TT, I’m sorry I yelled today. Can you forgive me?” Every time, I would reply, “You yelled?” I never seemed to remember. Kids are so sweet and innocent, and yes, soooo forgiving! I’m sure Anna won’t remember me yelling at her, but I still feel bad; however, maybe she was relieved that I only yelled at her after hitting Engine….in the Chinese schools, it is still very common for the teachers to hit the children. Even parents and grandparents are still known to get out the ole’ bamboo stick.

….Well, all in all, I guess it doesn’t help that I was teaching two classes at the same time. On Thursdays, both the 2A classes meet, but usually, Tabbi teaches one class and I teach the other. The kids are also on a different class schedule, so I had one class in the drama room next to my room, and the other class in my classroom. Going back and forth between the two was a joke…..it will be nice to have Tabbi back. I don’t know how teachers teach in America with those big class sizes—Thank you again to all my wonderful teachers who put up with me throughout the years!

Friday, October 23rd

No Teacher Tabbi, liquid milk, papaya, and a blender; what a deadly combination! It all equals, crazy SPE children. I don’t know what it is, but whenever I pull out the blender in kitchen, my kids go wild. We made papaya milk today in class. It was Friday, so I just let the kids go wild. Not only were they having fun playing with all the buttons on the blender, but also, they were having fun smashing my hand in the blender. Papaya juice and milk was everywhere and I just didn’t care. All the kids enjoyed their snack and we had a great time….can’t wait for Tabbi to be back next week!

Sarah, Hanna, and I went to our Indian restaurant tonight—pretty tasty. Only the second time I’ve had Indian food, both of which have been in Taiwan. I got a beef roll….the tortilla shell was yummy and the spices were great…it was actually a little too sweet, must have been the mayo….mayonnaise here tends to be a bit sweeter than what I’m used to back at home. I have never liked mayo much in the first place.

Hanna took me to CarreFour tonight….we went witch hunting!!! Halloween is vastly approaching, and I can’t wait for the day…I love Halloween. I found a fun witch hat, but really, the costume selection here in Taiwan is nothing compared to America. Of course, the Taiwanese don’t really celebrate Halloween, but they do have a few decorations and costumes because of all the English Cram Schools nearby that celebrate such holidays.

Saturday, October 24th

TEMPLE TRIP!

I remember one of my first Saturday’s in Taiwan; it was a trip to the temple with the English branch. Someone told me our branch only did the trip once every six months because the cost of renting a whole bus for the few of us was outrageous—understandable; well, I was greatly surprised when I found out our branch decided to ‘branch’ out for one more temple trip before all us teachers leave and go home! I’ve been to Taipei, and the temple, a couple times without the branch, but it’s always nice to get a comfy bus to yourself, half the price you pay on your own, and with great company too.

On the way to Taipei, President Baclayon put in a great flick, Johnny Lingo, the new edition….now, I’m pretty sure I watched the new movie in Seminary years ago, but I didn’t remember it at all, what a cheesy and fun show all at the same time—a great flick to get you ready for the temple!

Speaking of temples, my temple recommend expired back in September, and I’ve been trying to get in for an interview with President for the past little bit, but with General Conference and Stake Conference, I haven’t had much success. Without a temple recommend, I had decided to tour around Taipei with some of the teachers when everyone was doing baptisms. President remembered my recommend issue...on the bus ride, he came up to me and asked whether I’d still like to go and do baptisms; sure, I thought, so I had an interview on the bus and was ready to go. Oh the simple life in Taiwan, I love it. Just one problem, I was wearing shorts because I didn’t anticipate going inside the temple, “No problem…” President assured me…and in I went. I felt a little awkward, I must admit, but I’m assuming this kind of thing happens on occasion. Don’t worry, I wasn’t wearing jeans shorts, plaid ones, they were nice, very nice!

Our whole group did baptisms so we were in and out of the temple pretty quick. I stuck with Lisa—after the temple we toured around town, got some yummy mango and kiwi bing, and some scrumptious dumplings…curry ones too! …So delish. When we met up with the rest of the group we all went to the flower and jade market; both are connected together and they’re huge. I’ve never seen so much jade in my life…this color, that color, here a stone, there a stone….I was amazed, and yet…I still didn’t buy anything; jade must not be my thing. The flower market smelled lovely and the flowers were beautiful, but yet again, I didn’t buy anything…I mean, I don’t have anyone to give flowers to and they’d die within a week or so…I couldn’t bring myself to do it. The markets were fun to walk through though, and the Subway sandwich I had afterword hit the spot!

Sunday, October 25th

For some reason or another, Sister Dowse (senior missionary) came up to me a few weeks ago asking whether I could cut her hair….I don’t cut hair, I thought, but I actually do have some good hair scissors on me. I wasn’t quite sure how to respond, so I told her the truth. “Ugh, Sister Dowse, I actually do have some scissors on me, and I’ve watched a lot of hair cuts in my day, but really cutting hair myself, I wouldn’t even call myself adequate in the slightest.” I’m not so sure Sister Dowse understood me…this is what I think she heard, “Oh yeah, I cut hair all the time…I’m basically a professional….” because her response was, “Great, well I just need a trim!” Ha, I mean, I wanted to help Sister Dowse, but I didn’t want to botch her hair either…on the other hand, I love making people feel pretty and Sister Dowse was in desperate need of a little cut. I thought, what the heck, I can do this…I’ve watched my mom cut hair for some twenty odd years, I trim my own bangs…how hard can it be?

Well, I gave my mom a call, got some tips, and took the blades to Sister Dowse’s hair this afternoon after church. I was afraid to cut too much hair, so I was very careful to just snip a little bit here and a little there (Sister Dowse does have a hair appointment back in Utah when she gets home in a few weeks, so only a little trim was needed)…well, well, well, after a little perspiring…the haircut was finished and it turned out GREAT, alright…I wouldn’t go as far to say GREAT, but for my first cut, without any ‘real’ direction, it came out decent. Sister Dowse was happy with it, and I guess that’s all that matters. I think doing hair brings out the perfectionist in me….I couldn’t stop looking at Sister Dowse’s hair when I was finished cutting. Every time she spoke to me, I just kept thinking….are those sideburns even?

After the salon festivities, Sister Dowse and I had a little vegetable soup and cheese bread…it was YUMMY! I love eating with the Dowse’s; they always have yummy American food on hand. In fact, Elder Dowse busted out some chips and salsa when I told him that was the one thing I missed from America. They definitely take care of me.

1 comment:

Telsha Winger & fam said...

Sounds like life is treating your pretty well, Tanier. That's great you were able to do baptisms (in shorts and all :) ) Good luck with teaching without that extra teacher I'll bet that will be tough but you will do wonderful. it's fun to read about what is going on with you. Take care!